P.S. WHPK was where I heard Black Flag, and a lot of other music, for the first time.
It’s at times like this that I get down on myself for not working harder on my Spanish. Still, I can get just a little bit of what they’re saying, and I enjoy looking at them saying it, and, obviously, playing it.
I come back and watch this every so often; I still have to pick my jaw up off the floor. This new one is great too, at least in the parts where John Mayer isn’t talking.
* Sour grapes #1. “ I just hope you don’t buy the album expecting to be surprised. I hope you’re not one of those people who value spontaneity. “
* “ The painted ad on Tran Hung Dao would have beckoned thousands of soldiers and sailors as they headed into Cho Lon for nights of debauchery at the House of 500 girls. It would have stimulated the thirst of gamblers flocking to Le Grande Monde. The dark lady on the label might have winked at Graham Green as he scoured the steamy streets for atmo to spice up The Quiet American. “
* Sour grapes #2. ” Nothing about the original MTV format was new, and the ability of television to disrupt the way people listened to music wound up being utterly dwarfed by the ability of personal computing to disrupt it. If you believed MTV was the future of music, you were looking over at this plugged-in box, and the future of music was over in that plugged-in box. “
* Some nifty record covers. Even I don’t have a copy of Gods On Voodoo Moon.
* I don’t know much about music in New York : Gary Panter.
* Home sweet home : the New Orleans Murder Wall won’t stop growing. This, also, concerning the recent shootings and ” the subtle hierarchies that govern American mainstream coverage of horrible events. “
* Kira Roessler discusses the current state of Black Flag.
* Sour grapes #3. “ Unless young bands go back to steal fire from pre-1980s music they aren’t going to contribute much. “
Mm. These are from 1984, by Steven Hanner, from this. And, I was just thinking, is H.R., nowadays, kind of turning into Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry? I can’t imagine what it would be like with the two of them in the same room. Further questions : is the Roir Tape the best hardcore record of all time? A : yes, probably. Did I spend the second half of the 80s thinking that I Against I was the greatest record of all time? A : yes, probably.
Anna Connolly : ” Look what I found inside my box of Russian Monopoly. “
I was at the record store, and they put on Desesperanza by the Meridian Brothers. ” What the heck’s this? “, I asked. ” Crazy psychedelic UFO music from Colombia “, they said. ” Can I buy a copy? “, I asked. They smiled.
” The party record of the Summer “, I say. No tengo pantalones.
Thanks to everyone who sent a concerned email – I wasn’t at the parade, and nobody I know got shot. For a heartfelt, informed, local-style take on the situation, see here. “ Our open-air culture and its availability to all is the truly distinctive thing about New Orleans. Lose that, and we’re Omaha. Omaha without even a stockyard. “