* Tracks for Ricky B compilation album sent to mastering place. Check.
* Mixes completed for She’s Still Dead Keeper Of The Witch EP. Waiting to hear about mastering. Wondering why labels aren’t falling all over themselves to release this record as it’s the kind of classic thrash metal everyone loves.
* One more mix to do on Chopper Stepe album. Waiting for Chopper to return home from his travels so he can listen to the stuff on a real stereo instead of his phone.
When you got your first wah pedal, this was the first thing you tried to play, yeah?
Farewell, Jean Giraud. I was just thinking about you.
Star & Dagger is Sean Yseult of White Zombie’s new band, and here are a couple of songs that I recorded for their In My Blood EP, which is available as an ultra-limited, deluxe, heavyweight color-vinyl 12″ with fancy foil-stamped cover here. These tunes will not be on their forthcoming LP, and when the vinyl is gone, it’s gone.
01. Star & Dagger : Out Of Focus
02. Star & Dagger : Stories
Immortal, Eternal. Classic metal / hardcore from New Orleans. Super heavy mosh action, Jack The Ripper, blood, witchcraft – in short, all your favorite stuff – it’s all here! Recorded live in the studio ( yes, this band can play, extremely well ), available on deluxe colored vinyl here, and name-your-price download here.
01. She’s Still Dead : Hands Of The Ripper
02. She’s Still Dead : Voices
He would have been 60 years old today. I’m not going to post any of his tunes, because you have Ramones records, and maybe it would be nice to listen to your favorite one today. Here are my top 5 favorite Ramones tracks – perhaps not what you’d expect, but the band has been part of my life for a very, very long time.
1. Pet Sematary
2. Life’s A Gas
3. Commando ( The very first song I tried to figure out how to play the very first time I touched an electric guitar. I still kind of go to pieces when I hear it, as I did when I saw CJ Ramone and Daniel Rey play a pitch-perfect version a couple of weeks ago. We all chanted the chorus, and we threw our fists in the air, and for a few minutes, everything was okay, which is the way it works, when it works )
4. Havana Affair
5. Come On Let’s Go ( with the Paley Brothers )
01. Linus And Lucy
02. Cast Your Fate To The Wind
04. Treat Street
05. Mr. Lucky
06. I’m A Loser
07. Samba De Orpheus
08. Oh, Good Grief
09. Christmas Time Is Here
This would be a good day to listen to your choice of the first three Metallica albums, and to take a moment to consider the man’s life and work.
01. Captain Beefheart : Sun Zoom Spark
02. Captain Beefheart : Grow Fins
Ari Up ( Ariane Forster ) has died, and she was very young. She was the singer in The Slits. I don’t have much history with The Slits – when I was 13-14-15-16 years old, listening to the music of their 1977 London compatriots ( Clash, Pistols, Banshees, etc. etc. ), they were much too powerfully female/ abstract/ stoned for me to be able to grasp, but right now I’m playing Cut, which was their debut album, and it’s working for me, big time. I have a lot of thoughts, regarding hearing recordings of musicians who have just died, women in rock, the nature of fame and death, the history of important 1970s-1980s music … but you know what? No. Take a couple of minutes, listen to the song while you look at her picture.
The Slits : Typical Girls
The surprising, soul-tinged second album from Rik Slave & The Phantoms. Go here to get it cheap!
01. Rik Slave & The Phantoms : Haven’t I Done Enough?
02. Rik Slave & The Phantoms : Get It Right
03. Rik Slave & The Phantoms : Company Man
A short-lived band fronted by King Louie — it’s like, what wouldja call it? Punknewwavecaptainbeefheart? A cool, sold-out double 45 which we recorded on tape at New Orleans’ Piety Street Studios. Check Deviled Oyster to hear the world famous Tele-Mic in action!
01. Brickwar : Bone Trail
02. Brickwar : Deviled Oyster
Bobby Hebb : ” Sunny ”
Just about my favoritest soul jam ever.