|November 14, 2012 | Found Images
Big Boys, Austin, 1980, by Ben DeSoto.
Big Boys : T.V.
Dead Oak are a superheavy group from Austin TX. They’ve got cool gear for days ( vintage guitars, amplification by Matamp, a mountain of stompboxes, BIG drums – in short, everything good ) and great tunes, but they can’t find a singer. I’ve gone to Texas a couple of times to record them, and you can check out the raw tracks we did here. Think you’ve got what it takes? You can contact the band on their Soundcloud page or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lewis W. Hine, ca. 1910.
A uniquely hilarious guy, a hugely creative guy, a big-hearted true original, a king of Queens, someone who was not like you or me. I made an album with him once, and I slept on his and Lia’s couch, and he showed me sets for his stop-motion puppet movies, and he knew where to get the best bagels, and I liked him a lot, and everybody else did too. Now there’s his voice, this:
A thing about Jim is here.
I go over there sometimes – not because I want to watch the game, but because I want to watch D. watch it.
* ” More than a dozen different types of bar could be found in British pubs, besides the common public bar and saloon bar, many with careful, strict social gradations from one to the other, with a system of purdah and caste strict Hindus would appreciate. “ Shades, dives, and other varieties of British bar.
* Hey, it’s that guy who punched Danzig.
* Explanation of the Mastadong.
* ” Like thousands of people in Moscow, I was curious to see if my home was on the new database, showing the addresses of those killed in the purges – a sea of tens of thousands of blood-red dots on the map of Moscow. ”
* Radio Tanzania : a disappearing history on tape.
* ” Today’s boredom is not hungry, a response to deprivation; it is a loss of cultural appetite, in response to the surfeit of claims on your attention and time. ”
* It’s been two years since the demise of the Technics 1200.
* An open letter about Frida Kahlo’s unibrow.
* I sat in on an interview with She’s Still Dead about Horror movies, DIY metal, and touring Cuba.
* How to make an indie film poster.
* A collection of Japanese ‘lawsuit’ guitars.