I was hanging around at the record store ( and I do mean THE record store, my favorite one, they don’t update their site very much but take a look, and maybe check their solid-gold 5-star stats ) the other day when a shipment from London UK’s Finders Keepers Records came in. I have a few other discs from this label, so I was like ” ooh, ooh, whadja get? ” – the owner of the shop turned around and spun this tune here, and I bought the record. I’m pretty good at music, but when that crazy fuzz guitar lick kicks in at 0:34, I can’t figure out how to count it – or, wait, is it in 10s? There’s more on the artist, the album, and the label here.
Selda Bagcan : Meydan Sizindir
* Find out exactly how wrong you are
* How blunders, technology, and luck broke the Beatles in America
* Why so many rock stars die at the age of 27, explained by science
” I made a couple of attempts at (moving back to New Orleans) but, you know, it’s a love/hate thing. I’d just been released from Ft.Worth prison in 1964, and they shipped my ass out of town. I love New Orleans people, I love the food, I love the lifestyle, I love a million things about it. But I get depressed when I look at what has been done in the name of improving it, cleaning it up, updating it, modernizing it. I think D.A. Jim Garrison ruined New Orleans. I am bitter about this guy. Around 1963 he shut down most of the music clubs in the city. And in doing that he did a terrible thing that the city never fully recovered from. He padlocked them all – Canal Street, St.Charles Avenue, Washington Avenue, Jackson Avenue, Louisiana Avenue, on and on, all the music strips. Now all that’s left is Bourbon Street, which was traditionally for the turista set. “
* All the record shops in the entire world, in one map
* “If you’re poor in America, that’s a criminal offense. You’re not only a criminal for being poor, but you’re also stupid and deficient. We don’t have this national feeling of fraternity. We live in an individualist state where everyone hates everyone else, except your immediate family. We live in a mafia state.” Ian Svenonius on his admiration for Fidel Castro
* Brooklyn is actually getting poorer, somehow
* Crossing Saudi Arabia by taxi cab
* More ridiculous audio pseudoscience
* “It’s not a grand statement of human progress. It’s not a re-awakening of world culture that will cause the children to hold hands and sing in unison.” Down with runway food!
* And now Danzig is suing Jerry Only for ownership of the crimson ghost