Jonas Bendiksen, Russia, Altai Territory. 2000. ” Villagers collecting scrap from a crashed spacecraft, surrounded by thousands of white butterflies. Environmentalists fear for the region’s future due to the toxic rocket fuel. “
It’s almost fall ( I guess it IS fall – somebody somewhere is probably wearing a sweater, but definitely not where I live ), and so my soundtrack skews naturally towards Euro-metal. And behold, there’s a new Witchcraft album!
Witchcraft : It’s Not Because Of You
It’s in the details.
Today was an all-Asian day. I went to the record store ( it’d been a while ) where I got a cassette called Black Plastic Singing Flats Vol.II ( I was a big fan of the first one ), and then I went out to the Vietnamese market and bought all kinds of weird stuff that you can only get at Asian markets, and then I came home and made noodles and stir-fried big fuck-off chunks of ginger and garlic and red peppers, and then, while I was making Vietnamese coffee, I played the tape. This song is the only one on the compilation that’s sung in English, but it has a perfect 1960s radio sound that really grabbed me. If I could go to a 45-years-ago Singapore nightclub tonight, I would.
Rita Chao : Cu Cu Cu Choo
New York, 1968, by Harry Benson.
* ” One of the things that digital has done for me personally is that it’s made music of my ongoing now completely atemporal. I no longer have any idea or any anxiety about not having any idea about what’s happening now, because that no longer seems very important. Now, last week, 30 years ago? What’s the difference? What does it matter? It’s all there on YouTube. And so I find myself discovering things like a decade late, or I discover things before very many people have found them. It’s atemporal. “
* Bootleg Bart, Johnny Thunders’ Hair.
* “ Son, are you figuring out who solved the case, or are you playing Fruit Ninja? ” Wikipedia Brown.
* ” This is pretty much the best time to be a metal fan in India. ”
* ” Every track is perfect from top to bottom, and it’s a beautiful album because it works in every respect. It’s hard to find a flaw in it, and there aren’t many records during your career that you can say that about.” What being a producer used to mean : Mike Chapman.