Various And Sundry
|February 28, 2014 | Various And Sundry
* Fucking books. Fuck.
* Experimental music on children’s TV
* Teens : the nature of peer pressure has changed, a lot : also : teenagers confess they don’t know what the term sell-out means. This term, so vital to the identities of at least three generations that have come before, doesn’t register as something negative.
* A hideous statue of Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain is now displayed in his awful little hometown’s local history museum, so that visitors can remember him not as the last rock ‘n roller to rule America but instead as a weeping bummer playing acoustic guitar.
* Sultan Moulay Ismaïl of Morocco, “The Bloodthirsty,” reputedly sired hundreds of children and perhaps more than a thousand. Now computer simulations suggest this could have been possible if the ruler had sex about once a day for 32 years.
* The members of Pussy Riot have been filling both prison cells and column inches since 2012. In the process, they’ve also become one of the most famous bands on the planet. But let me ask you this – have you ever actually heard any of their music? And crucially, is it any good?
* Today, “there is a sameness to everything, but what he does is very special.”
* What’s the Williamsburg of your town? Also : related, it seems : last call all over the world.
* Photos : real Russia by real Russians.